Reworking evokes a whole lot of contradictory feelings, from pleasure over the potentialities to dread in regards to the time, bother, and mess—and few locations are as anxiety-inducing to sort out as a rest room. However in case you’re contemplating retiling your bathe, it could be simpler than you suppose; you in all probability can do it with out all the effort you’re imagining by tiling proper over what’s already there.
Tiling over your present tile flooring has a number of benefits: You skip demolition, so that you reduce your mess and the time frame your bathe is out of service. You save time and money, and also you don’t disturb the present waterproofing system or should determine slope or drainage. Tiling over your bathe flooring basically turns a serious transform right into a weekend mission—here’s the best way to do it.
Do your due diligence
First, you need to be certain that your present bathe flooring is in fine condition. If it has cracks or unfastened tiles or if there’s any signal of leaking, this gained’t work. The prevailing tiles should be stable as a result of your new tiles will solely be as sturdy as those they’re going over. Let your bathe dry out and carry out a radical inspection. Should you see any minor cracks, you’ll be able to fill them with some silicone, and if you wish to be additional cautious, you possibly can give your bathe pan just a few coats of waterproofing later on this course of.
In case your bathe flooring appears to be in fine condition, do a radical cleansing with a degreasing cleaning soap; once you’ve scrubbed the flooring totally, let it dry.
Put together the surface
The important thing to tiling over tile is floor prep. The thinset used to stick tile wants one thing to seize onto, and a whole lot of tile is simply too clean, so that you’re going to should take some steps to make sure your new tile doesn’t pop proper off:
- Take away the drain cowl. Take off the overlaying over your bathe drain and stuff a rag into the drain (or cowl it with tape) itself to forestall particles from falling in.
- Tough up the prevailing tile. Utilizing 80-grit sandpaper, scuff up your present tiles to get the gloss off them. Don’t go too medieval in your tiles—you’re not making an attempt to grind them into oblivion. You simply wish to scratch them to heck and again so your thinset has a “grabby” floor. As soon as that is finished, vacuum and clear totally.
- Prime. That is the important thing—use a “bonding primer” (like Mapei’s Eco Prim Grip) in your bathe flooring. This primer simply paints on with a curler and brush; get a very good, thick coating on the ground, being cautious to not slop it throughout your bathe partitions in case you’re not planning to vary out that tile.
- Waterproof (elective). Should you inspected your bathe flooring earlier and stored going, you have to be happy that your present bathe flooring doesn’t leak. If you wish to be additional cautious, although, you possibly can take this chance to slap on two or three coats of RedGard or different liquid waterproofing. But when your present flooring was leaking, this won’t resolve the issue—in reality, it’d make it worse. In case your present bathe flooring is leaking, it is advisable do a extra in depth restore.
- Set up drain extender. Including a layer of tiles to your flooring will add top, which implies your drain might now sit too low. Purchase a drain extender (or two, if vital) and dry-fit a few of your new tile across the drain to guage how excessive you’ll want your new drain to be (you need the drain to be roughly stage together with your new flooring).
Set up your new tile
Your primer is dry and your drain has been prolonged. Dry-fit your new tile to get the format fastened—it’s all the time higher to determine your tile format earlier than your thinset is on the floor and also you’re on the clock. Determine what cuts you’ll should make and the place you’re going to produce other tiling challenges, like slivers or gaps.
As soon as that’s finished, escape the thinset. From right here it’s identical to tiling anyplace else—seek the advice of your tile’s documentation concerning trowel dimension, and select a high-quality thinset. You need one thing with a status for being “grabby,” like Laticrete 254 Platinum—this type of thinset generally is a problem as a result of it’s very sticky and dries quick, however it should bond extraordinarily effectively to each units of tile. As soon as your tile has set, grout as common, change your drain cowl, and voila! A brand new-looking bathe flooring.